Techniques - Warm up & Practice Exercises
Setting a Ground / Tonal-Drawing
This is an exercise whereby you will be focusing on light and shade:
1) Choose a picture/object to draw.
2) Select white paper to draw on.
3) 'Tone' the paper (ie. rub it with graphite or charcoal in order to shade the entire area).
4) Once you've toned the paper you are ready to draw the piece; use a dry paper towel or tissue to rub into the graphite on the shaded page in order to make your drawing.
5) This technique allows you to correct mistakes quite easily as you can re-shade over the rubbed out area with the graphite or charcoal multiple times and start again.
6) It is a good idea to time yourself (perhaps set an alarm) and, with practice, you should improve on your speed of this type of drawing.
Below is a very simplistic piece in order to provide you with an idea of what it is that you are trying to achieve. You should eventually create much more detailed pieces.